Monday, August 1, 2011

You light up the sky

Songs speak to me.  They always have and always will.  It's almost uncanny how I can memorize lyrics to songs with only a few plays but memorizing scripture is like grinding through scores of specification documents--no matter how many times I read through, I will eventually forget.  I find it amusing how most songs that I listen to are simply mimicking scripture; putting it to music sticks it in my brain.  Fun fact:  I have every word of every song of my 156-song playlist memorized, and I wouldn't want it any other way.

My hands-down absolute favorite song is "Light Up The Sky" by The Afters (why yes, that is the title of this blog!  I hope that's not copyright infringement).  Not only is the music straight up awesome, but the lyrics hold a special place in my heart and mind:

Light Up The Sky, The Afters

When I’m feeling all alone and so far to go
The signs are nowhere on this road guiding me home
When the night is closing in
It’s falling on my skin
Oh God will You come close

Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me

When stars are hiding in the clouds
I don’t feel them shiningWhen I can’t see beyond my doubt
The silver liningWhen I’ve almost reached the end
Like a flood You’re rushing inLove is rushing in

Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me

So I run straight to Your arms
You’re the bright and morning Sun
To show Your love, there’s nothing You won’t do

Light, light, light up the sky
You light up the sky to show me You are with me
I, I, I can’t deny
Oh I can’t deny that You are right here with me
You’ve opened my eyes so I can see You all around me
Light, light, light up the sky
Light up the sky to show me You are with me

This song is more than words to me.  It's reality.  It's a promise.  It tells my story.  When I've felt alone and abandoned, He has always shed some light to show me the way.  When I've doubted His goodness and lost faith, He has always proven Himself.

I have been so blessed; our God has given me direct glimpses of His love--through friends, through situations, through pain, through disappointment, through not understanding why.  The purpose of this blog is to share and serve as a witness to those times when God sheds a bit more of His light in my life.  And hopefully, just maybe, you'll see a bit more of His light shining, too.



Father God,
You are Good.  You know I've struggled in disbelief.  You know I've painted ill pictures of You in my mind.  You know I've asked why a million times.  But the truth remains:  You are Good.  Even though I strain and twist in the wind, You have never failed me.  You always reveal to me what I need when I need it; You always light up the sky to prove Your love to me.  And so, I will wait--expectantly.  I will wait to see the light of Your purpose revealed.  You are Good.

1 comment:

  1. "The purpose of this blog is to share and serve as a witness to those times when God sheds a bit more of His light in my life."

    The people of Israel, after crossing the Red Sea, were told to place stones on end, to create an altar. They were instructed to create a monument, a testimony to God's faithfulness. God told them to do this so that when their children and grandchildren saw it, they would ask what it was there for, and then give the Israelites the opportunity to reflect on God's work in their life. How awesome a commission...to live a life that acknowledges God's constant presence and provision in such a way that future generations look at our lives and see God. Not our own accomplishments or failures...just God's faithfulness.

    Awesome. Truly, literally, awesome, in the way that inspires awe, and not in the surfer-dude way that throws away a beautiful word on uninspiring things.

    Stay up on this, Mark. God loves you, brings the sun to your world every day reminding you of His presence and love...raise a monument in recognition of his faithfulness as often as you can. I'd like to think that your grandchildren will thank you for it.

    ReplyDelete